Marsh Gibbon is a picturesque village conveniently located on the Oxfordshire / Buckinghamshire border, somewhere between
Bicester and Buckingham.
Our village and our rural surroundings are domesday old but the modern day version bring its residents together through its numerous
sports clubs and societies (including the oldest Friendly Society in the country!) an excellent primary school and playgroup, 3 churches, 2 pubs, amazing sports facilities and a village hall of course.
The 2011 Census it showed that there were 969 usual residents. Of these, 100% lived in households and 0% lived in communal establishments. The average (mean) age of residents was 40.8 years.
Full details of the 2011 Census results can be accessed here.
To find out more about our village and the parish follow one of the links in the menu.
Marsh Gibbon is mentioned in the first free online copy of Domesday Book. In fact it is mentioned twice. See the entries here
According to GENUKI which provides a “virtual reference library of genealogical information of particular relevance to the UK and Ireland.” Marsh Gibbon was described in 1806 in “Magna Britannia”
MARSH-GIBWEN, in the hundred and deanery of Buckingham, lies on the borders of Oxfordshire, about four miles and a half to the east of Bicester. It received its additional name from the ancient family of Gibwen, who were of considerable consequence in the county, in the thirteenth century, and had estates in this parish. The principal manor was given by Robert, Earl of Cornwall, to the abbey of Grestein, in Normandy.
About the year 1365, having been seized by the crown as the property of an alien monastery, it was granted to the De la Poles. William De la Pole, Duke of Suffolk, and Alice, his wife, gave it to the hospital of Ewelm, in Oxfordshire, the mastership of which was annexed in 1603 to the Regius professsorship of physic, in the university of Oxford, in whom, jointly with the grammar-master and thirteen poor men, the manor is now vested, but all the business relating to it, is transacted in the name of the two chaplains and thirteen poor men. Near the manor-house are some slight traces of entrenchments, supposed to have been thrown up by the parliamentary army, when they marched to Marsh-Gibwen, in the month of June 1645.
The Bury-manor, or manor of Westbury, in this parish, belonged also to the abbey of Grestein, (by grant from the Montacutes.) Having escheated to the crown, as the property of an alien house, it was given by King Edward IV. to the Company of Cooks, in London, who sold it, in 1530 to Robert Dormer: it has since passed through several hands, and is now the property of Mr. Dixon. The advowson of the rectory belonged formerly to the Abbey of Grestein, it is now in the crown.
There’s a detailed history of the area available on the Institute of Historical research’s website too.
There is always so much to do in the villages and surrounding communities, with a wide variety of events and activities to suit all tastes and interests. The calendar is constantly being updated with the very next social highlight so why not take a look here.